Opinion Arlington Endorses Kelly Canon
Friday, April 22, 2016, by Buddy Saunders
Opinion Arlington joins The Arlington Spectator in endorsing Kelly Canon for City Council Dist. 1. The reasons we, and you, should prefer her over the incumbent are many. But before we get into why it is so important that Ms. Canon be the new representative for Dist. 1, here is a complete list of those running for City Council and the Arlington ISD board.
Kelly Canon – endorsed by Opinion Arlington and the Arlington Spectator
Victoria Farrar-Myers – endorsed by Opinion Arlington
Chris “Dobi” Dobson
Only one of the two AISD board positions is contested. That is Place 4.
Monday, April 25-May 3rd, Early Voting for City and School Board Positions.
Saturday, May 7, Election Day for Municipal and School Board Positions.
Why We Need Kelly Canon on the Arlington City Council
We have a new mayor. After twelve years of neglect by the former mayor and his likeminded Council cohorts, our streets are at last being fixed. Yes, we have a much better mayor, but now we need a much better City Council to support him. Kelly Canon represents a very good start.
The following points tell you a lot about Kelly Canon.
- Kelly Canon is a conservative. Unlike her opponent, she would never support liberal Democrat candidates. In the fall of 2014, RINO Parker campaigned for and signed his name in support of the Democratic challenger to conservative State Representative (District 94), Tony Tinderholt, an outstanding conservative.
- Kelly Canon led the successful fight to rid Arlington of the red light camera scam. Her opponent fought red light opponents, and when citizens petitioned the cameras out of the city, Charlie Parker wanted the camera company to sue in an effort to overcome the public will.
- Kelly Canon respects the right of citizens to be heard by all the city when they speak at City Council meetings. Charlie Parker voted to keep Mayor Cluck’s unfair restrictions on free speech.
- Kelly Canon will protect the citizen’s right to use the streets their taxes pay for. Her opponent has allowed a crony developer to turn a street lane on Lamar Blvd. into a linear parking lot, thus reducing that part of Lamar to a single west-bound lane.
- Kelly Canon opposes the current plan to flood Arlington with high density apartments.
- Kelly Canon opposes mass transit schemes that are not fiscally responsible.
- Kelly Canon opposes tax increases, and will not support irresponsible vanity spending and crony deals that drive up taxes even as quality of service declines.
- Kelly Canon wants to reduce the excessive regulation that stifles business in Arlington.
- Kelly Canon is firm, principled, courteous, and unlike her opponent, she will not be described by the Dallas Morning News as “…the rudest city council member in North Texas, based on samples of his emails to constituents.” Kelly will listen to your concerns, not laugh in your face.
- You can be sure that when the liberal Star-Telegram endorses Council candidates, it will not be conservative Kelly Canon.
- In short, if you want genuine fiscally responsible leadership to come to the Arlington City Council, Kelly is your lady. Give her a chance and you’ll be glad you did.
Feel free to forward this column to family and friends.
Please comment online! What you think matters!